Natural Remedies for Throat Irritation
- Abstain from an avoidable cause of throat irritation – smoking! Also abstain from consuming cold items, such as ice, fizzy drinks, yoghurt and anything directly from the fridge. Other causes may not be as easily within your control: dust, fumes, and excessive dryness in the air. When temperatures suddenly drop, dress warmly. Indoor temperature control hampers the body’s ability to acclimatise when having to go outdoors.
- Boil 10 rose petals in a cup of water. Filter and add pinch of red chilli powder. Gargle with this mixture a few times during the day.
- Soak 2 to 3 almonds with a dried fig in water for a few hours. Remove the almond skin. Grind the almonds and fig into a paste. Add a tablespoon or two of honey and eat before bedtime.
- If coughing excessively, chew two cloves with a pinch of salt.
- Spray highly concentrated salty water on a handful of almonds. When dry, fry in oil and eat.
- Steep one teaspoon each of cinnamon and cardamom powder in a cup of boiling water for a few minutes. Filter and gargle with mixture whilst still warm.
- Chew a slice of fresh ginger.