Islam is a comprehensive religion guiding Muslims through sets of rules governing every facet of life. Since food is an important part of daily life, food laws carry a special significance. Islamic philosophy propounds that the food which man consumes affects not only his physical constitution but also his moral character and spiritual uplift.
Halal is an Arabic word which means lawful or permissible. In the specific context of consumables it refers to food that is lawful for consumption. Muslims are permitted to eat the flesh of certain animals, which are required to be slaughtered according to the specified ritual procedures. Halaal also encompasses all aspects of food hygiene and quality.
Although non-meat items are neutral in terms of Islamic Law, the processing procedures, food additives, preparation areas, etc. also must be free from non-Halaal contaminants.
Seafood and derivatives thereof are acceptable in terms of Halaal dietary regulation.
Once the Halaal Authority inspects, evaluates and approves all the relevant areas of the ingredients/raw materials and the manufacturing process, Halal approval is granted.
As a summary, the following must be kept in mind when processing Halal flavors:
- Contamination: It is vital that at no stage must non-Halaal products come into contact with Halal products.
- Processing, Storage and Transportation: Halaal designated should also fulfill the following conditions:
- Shall not consist of or contain anything which is considered to be unlawful according to the Shariah (Islamic Law);
- Shall not be prepared and processed using any appliance or facility that was not free from anything unlawful as per the Islamic law;
- Shall not in the course of preparation and processing be in contact with any food that fails to satisfy (i) and (ii) above.
Notwithstanding the above, Halal can be prepared and processed using facilities which have previously been used for non-Halaal food provided that proper cleaning, wash-down and sterilizing procedures, according to Shariah (Islamic Law) requirements, have been observed.